Babysitting & Child Caught My House On Fire | Oklahoma Fire Claim Lawyers

The Child I Was Babysitting Caught My House on Fire

Posted March 30, 2015

You’ve heard of all kinds of adventures in babysitting, but you never imagined a catastrophe would strike in your home. If you find yourself facing the unthinkable, that moment when the child you were babysitting caught your house on fire, you need to learn how to take action. You have several steps that you can take to receive compensation for your damages.

File a Claim with Your Homeowner’s Insurance Company

As with any fire, you will need to file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance in order to receive financial compensation for your damages. You’ll need to explain the situation and may find that your premium goes up as a result. Be sure to file your claim as soon as possible and include a detailed list of your losses. While this is one way to pay for the necessary repairs in your home, you need to take further action and involve the guilty party next.

File a Police Report

Even though a child has caused the fire, you can still contact the police and ask that a police report is filed. This will provide you with official documentation of the incident that will specify exactly what occurred in your home.

Request an Investigation from the Fire Department

In order to get as much legal documentation as possible, you can request that the fire chief performs an investigation of the cause of the fire in your home. Once you have that report, you can move forward with legal action.

Approach the Parents of the Child and Request Compensation

After the incident is over, you can attempt to have a civil conversation with the parents of the child and request payment for your damages. If the parents agree, you will not need to take any further action.

You Can’t Sue the Child, but You Can Sue the Parents

If the parents won’t work with you, you can file a lawsuit against them. When you file your lawsuit, you’ll want to present all pertinent information to your legal counsel. This should include your homeowner’s claim, the police report, and the report from the fire department. It is important to note that you may be under question as well. You were supervising the child. From a legal standpoint, doubts will arise about the level of care you were providing when the fire took place. You will have to prove that you were keeping a close watch on the child when disaster struck.

Contact one of our dedicated attorneys at (405) 272-0303 or online today for help with your fire damage claims.